To borrow from the Girl Scouts, a gift closet is a simple way to "be prepared" when you need a gift quickly, or just don't have time to pick up something for a birthday or party. If you don't have room for a closet, a bin or box works just as well.
Here are some tips from the "Gift Gurus" of Lady Primrose as well as some of their friends about a Gift Closet.
- Think of "occasions" when stocking your gift closet. (baby showers, graduations, hostess gifts, girlfriend gifts, pick-me-up gifts, buncko gifts, kids birthday parties...)
- Keep your friends/family in mind-plus add some items that you know almost anyone would like. (bath products, books, stationary, fun jewelry, baby items, gift cards, printed and framed or painted quotes)
- Gather items by watching sales, buying multiples, and thinking ahead to what's coming up on your schedule.
- Keep all the extras you'll need in the same place. (scissors, gifts bags, tissue paper, enclosure cards, wrapping paper)
- Make a list of what gifts you've given so that you don't duplicate.
- Take the time every so often to "inventory" the items you have on hand to know what you're low on, spur an idea, and be on the look-out for new ideas.
What are your best tips for Gift Closets?
Special thanks to Marian in Oklahoma City for the picture of her gift closet.